Origami Owl’s 5th annual National Convention is coming up next week. Each year, I see the same questions being asked in Facebook groups and I though I’d take the time to answer a few of the most common questions. To make it easier, I’ve breaking it down to 3 Categories – What to Pack, What to Expect, What to Do. Although my tips are aimed at Origami Owl, the same tips can be applied to any convention you might be attending.
What to Pack
- Clothing – be prepared to dress in layers. Most conventions are in the summer and while it may be hot outside, the indoors are usually chilly.
- Formal Night Dress
- Cosmetics & Toiletries
- Comfortable walking shoes – you will be doing a lot of walking, so be prepared
- Notebook / Pen or a Tablet for note taking. You’ll be learning TONS this weekend, so be prepared to take notes so that you can put them into action once you return.
- Jewelry! Don’t forget to pack your favorite lockets! You’ll also want to make sure you have your lanyard locket, so that you can wear your name badge in style!
- Portable Charger – this is a MUST! Your devices lose battery fast, and plugs are minimal. Save yourself some headaches by bringing a portable charger each day. Don’t forget to charge the charger at night!
- Power Strip – if you have multiple designers sharing a room, you’ll need a few extra plugs for all of those devices!
- Ticket Confirmation
- Business Cards – to exchange with your new friends so that you can keep in touch after convention!
- Tissues – If you are lucky enough to hear Chrissy Weems or Coach Dar talk from the heart -you’ll need them.
- Take out Menus – You’ll be glad you brought a few extras with you when you run into a server at a restaurant who wants to learn more about O2!
- Your Cell Phone with the O2 experience App Downloaded to it. You can see your workshop locations and schedules here.
- A Refillable Water Bottle – it’s hotter than the Dickens down in Arizona. Make sure you keep yourself hydrated so you don’t miss a beat!
- Expert tip – InstaCart has a delivery service. Click here to get your first three deliveries for free. Stock up on water, snacks and anything you might have left at home. (Disclaimer: I also receive a free delivery when you use this link – but hey – let’s share the O2 love)
What to Expect
- Lots of Dancing. Like a Lot.
- General sessions and breakouts are Business Casual dress
- The energy is HIGH in general sessions – it’s magical – don’t worry about anything but being in the moment.
- Everyone Gets One – Everyone’s favorite phrase! The Nest doesn’t skimp on free giveaways – but you must be in your seat to collect one! Limit one per person.
- The O2 Store will have tons of amazing stuff! Apparel, business supplies, and more! Most of the time they put all of these items for sale at OrigamiOwlTools.com after convention. So unless it says convention exclusive, you will have another chance to purchase later on. Make sure you check out the store, but be prepared to wait in line. They only take debit / credit cards, no cash.
- Break out Sessions are an amazing way to learn new ways to better your business – you won’t want to miss them. One hint – if you want to go to more than you have time for, split forces with a friend, and swap notes afterward.
Dos and Don’ts
- Do follow these tips shared by Brenda Ster from The Socialite Suite. They will help you share with your fans without being spammy
- Do be kind to other designers. They came far and wide, and come from all walks of life. Say Hello, make a new friend.
- Do be a Force for Good – look for opportunities to bless those around you and leave the city a better place then you found it.
- Do be respectful of the speakers and presenters. Please don’t talk while they are talking.
- Do drink lots of water!
- Don’t forget to have fun!
- Don’t get caught up in drama. This is about you and your O2 business. Not anyone else’s personal business.
- Don’t be afraid to talk to or snag a photo with our founders!
- Don’t forget to sleep at night! This may seem like a no-brainer but convention can be exhausting from all of the excitement. Don’t forget to get rest at night so you can be fresh and ready to go in the morning.
- Do Change your screen saver on your phone to a photo of a number that you can be reached at in case your phone gets lost. I’e – Melissa Christensen’s phone – please contact Suzy Smith at 888-555-1234 if lost